The cause of a house explosion in Rural Rochelle last Thursday afternoon was from propane gas tanks at the residence. No one suffered any injuries from the fire.
The blaze occurred at 11714 East Sunset Lane, the residence of James Fitzgerald.
Rochelle FireChief Brian Johnson said that the 2-story home was fully engulfed in flames prior to the area departments arriving on the scene. A large explosion was heard by a neighbor prior to the fire.
Johnson said that there were 3 small propane tanks at the home. The gas apparently leak into the residence which caused the explosion.
Johnson said that the fire was not suspicious in nature and it was an accident. Assisting in the investigation was the Ogle County Sheriff's Department and Illinois State Fire Marshall's Office.
Cost damage was estimated to be over $100,000.
2 cars were also destroyed in the fire along with damage done to a 3rd vehicle.