Local and State Officials continue to investigate a house fire in Rural Rochelle Thursday afternoon following an explosion. There were no injuries.
The blaze occurred at 11714 East Sunset Lane, the residence of James Fitzgerald.
Rochelle Fire Chief Brian Johnson said that the 2-story home was fully engulfed in flames prior to area departments arriving on the scene.
A large explosion was heard by a neighbor prior to the fire.
The flames were hot enough to melt the siding on a home next to the residence. A Trans-Am car parked in the garage was destroyed in the blaze along with a Sports Utility Vehicle parked in the driveway. There was also damage to another car at the home.
Chief Johnson said that the residence did not have natural gas.
The Flagg-Center Fire Department was on the scene Friday for a couple of times to put out some hot spots. The 2-story home was a total loss. Cost damage was estimated at over $100,000.
The American Red Cross was contacted to help Fitzgerald find a temporary place to live.
Assisting in the investigation are the Ogle County Sheriff's police along with the State's Fire Marshall's office.